Monday, March 30, 2009

Take a Hike

At Wilder Ranch State Park.

I almost didn't because I got lost and showed up 30 minutes late. Fortunately, my most kind Brownies troop waited for us to arrive. Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you. It was terribly disappointing when we thought we had arrived so late that we missed the hike, especially after the crazy drive.

Crazy because it was over a winding mountain where everyone was going 20 miles over the posted speed limit. I grew up in a flat place where the roads were laid out on a grid. I don't do curvy driving. I'm a right angle kind of girl. The things we do for our children.

Was it worth it? And then some. It was a perfect day and we saw so many amazing things. Click on any photo to enlarge.



We started by petting some (huge) horses. Well, some of us just hung back and watched (yup, that one's mine).

And we're off:




The girls rest among the forget-me-nots under a gnarled redwood tree and fill in their scavenger hunt sheet:



Here's where some of us started to feel the burn. No, I'm not resting, I'm, um, taking pictures:



Resting at the peak:



But what are we looking at? This ocean:



Heading back down we stopped to watch and listen to red-winged blackbirds. Can you see him?



One more shot?

2 Comments:

Monica said...

Beautiful! How fun.

Dawn E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.