Monday, March 30, 2009

Taking a Week Off

I hadn't planned to take the week off even though I had considered it for a brief shining moment. We already had plans in place to take Wednesday off for an, ahem, educational trip to the Napa Valley. (Gotta learn to drink some time).

And Monday was going to be a short day due to a Brownies hike in the afternoon. AND I really needed some time to get ready for a visit from my in-laws AND I've been haunted by the specter of Spring Cleaning.

But I persevered and decided to get the week done around our other events. Then we ended up heading out to the emergency room on Sunday night while I was in the throes of organizing the weekly binder and the bulletin board. Seems that a certain 4-year old girl was picking almonds off of the tree when some debris fell into her eye and then rolled way down while I was looking at it. Panic ensued, though I hope I kept it largely internal.

It was a long wait for a three-minute fix involving drops and long handled cotton swab. A wait during which we barked at several people to please get this thing out of her eye before it scratched her cornea. Still nothing compared to the 16- and 17-hour waits just to see the triage nurse like in some socialized medicine countries. We saw the triage nurse within 20 minutes and were sent home after 3 hours.

But getting home well after 9:00 to a schoolroom that was a good hour from being really set up and a binder that would take about another half-hour, and with the spring cleaning beckoning...I made an executive decision and declared the week officially off.

We'll have to make it up come June but that's June's problem.

1 Comment:

Dawn E said...

Good call. I hope you guys are having a great week!