Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Up To Speed

We've been getting situated since the long break which was longer than I'd expected it to be. It just worked out that we ended up taking almost three weeks off and then have had only a couple of "regular" weeks since then. But, grandparents don't visit from out-of-state everyday and doctor's don't have evening hours so it is what it is.

Some curriculum changes. We have abandoned the thorough and comfortable Saxon math for the spangly allure of Singapore math. The kids are much happier and are learning at a good clip while I flounder in the teacher's manual wishing for a complete script. Actually, I like it better also but I do worry about mastery of math facts.

We've added in PE in the morning which has not made our days intolerably long. I think it was a good move and the kids seem happy with it. I bought a gym mat for tumbling on rainy days (of which we have many lately) and I'm angling for a little trampoline although I'm not sure my trampoline phobic husband will go for that.

I've also added short social skills daily lessons for Henry based on "The Social Skills Picture Book" and "Playing It Right".

For my own amusement I downloaded a printable daily cleaning schedule. Gosh and begorrah if it isn't actually working! Best $8.00 spent so far this year.

We like the new additions and have tightened up the schedule and things are going mostly great. That works for me.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

I am the hold up for the trampoline? I say go.