Monday, October 22, 2007

Founder's Day

Sarah has suggested that I make next October 22 a Founder's Day holiday. Hmmm...

Today went well. Henry was mostly cooperative and when he wasn't he had a choice between losing a computer day and copying some "I will not" sentences. He picked sentences. So, there was extra copy work to make up for the lack of a narration. I'm thinking about cutting way back on the amount of narrations he does. Today he didn't do any but I still feel like he got a lot of out the history lesson (hieroglyphs, cuneiform, papyrus, Mesopotamia). Since the goal of history at this age is simply exposure I think we can do narration on a case-by-case basis. He did some map work and a coloring page.

Henry and I read further into the Tasks of Heracles/Hercules. Eleanor read almost two Magic Tree House books about mummies and pyramids. She didn't quite finish the second. I don't love MTH books but I don't mind the occasional one that's pertinent to our lesson. Eleanor was fascinated by mummification (and found the word 'mummified' to be hilarious). Our history activity book has a chicken mummification activity that we might have to try. She did a narration for history along with map work.

Eleanor did a lot of cursive. She's a page away from finishing the third grade text. Starting tomorrow we'll switch her over to full time cursive writing and to the cursive practice book en Francais! She did some dictation.

I need to keep working on teaching instead of proctoring. I need to find ways to engage Susannah instead of shooing her away all day. She's made a lot of progress with number and letter identification. She's walking around singing, "M says mmmmmm. M says mmmmmm. Every letter makes a sound, M says mmmmmm." You know the one right? Her favorite thing to do is practice her "poems". She knows, "Work" by Anonymous:

Work while you work,
Play while you play,
This is the way,
To be happy each day.
All that you do,
Do with your might,
Things done by halves,
Are never done right.

She knows snippets of "The Caterpillar" by Christina G. Rossetti and can recite most of "How Doth the Little Crocodile" by Lewis Carroll (including the authors). She hangs out with us all day just listening and trying to interject herself into everything. It reminds me of when the kids were babies and would stare down the food on your plate with that, "You gonna finish that?" look on their faces that let you know they were ready for solid food. I think she's ready for solid food.

Henry found a $10 bill in his dresser. He requested that we use our recess time to go to Hallmark and buy another Webkinz. We did just that. Which is probably where the time for French went. Ce qui sera, sera.

Here's an exchange that went on between Rick and I last night:

Zelda: I found an arm in the dryer.
Rick: Whose is it?

Only after the exchange did it occur to me how completely alarming that would sound out of context.

6 Comments:

Unknown said...

But I did figure out whose arm it was, didn't I

Lesley said...

Kinda like me and my comment, "the kids made Boo's" which I now realize sounded like, "the kids made booze." (Wouldn't that be a neat trick- save me an "arm" and leg on my liquor bill)

Anonymous said...

Well, see, I was wondering why you and Sarah were looking at me like that. I thought the idea of a Brownie troop making booze was hilarious and I thought that would be universal. Then the looks. I considered the possibility that you didn't get it but decided that I was probably just being super immature...as usual.

Sarah said...

No, I admit it, I didn't get it. But in my defense, I was extremely tired by that point. I'm pretty sure that was the day I got up at 3:30. I know there was one day like that last week.

RimCheck said...

The site looks great. You'll have to fill me in on how you set some of it up. Has Henry learned about the Hydra yet?

Vivian said...

Once again, that conversation went right over my head, and I didn't even get up at 3:30.

Next bookclub meeting I'm going to request captions for your conversations so I can keep up.