Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Stymphalian Birds, Sargon, Still Sewing

Is it possible that things are starting to gel? I hardly dare to suggest it lest I jinx us into another two week stretch of horror like we had recently.

I've taken a break from doing reading narrations with Eleanor. Its interfering with how much reading she actually does and if we're doing narrations for history and science I can address reading comprehension at that time. Our days are zipping along without them and I think that's a good indication that it was time to let it go...for now.

I'd love to eliminate cursive as its own subject entirely and just incorporate it into all the other written work she's doing but its her favorite part of the day so we'll soldier on. In language arts she is beginning to diagram sentences. Its actually been fun to learn that again. Yesterday was a science day. She did a killer narration on the sun and the moon and shadows. Today was a history day and he learned about Sargon/Sumer/Akkadia. Her reading as all been related to the history.

Henry spent the last two days finishing up the story of Heracles/Hercules. I devised a clapping method to remember the 12 tasks. We clap when we say the numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4
ONE
The man-eating lion.
TWO
The nine-headed hydra.
THREE
The stag with gold antlers.
FOUR
The huge wild boar.
FIVE
The Augean stables.
SIX
The Stymphalian birds.
SEVEN
The great bull of Crete.
EIGHT
The man-eating horses.
NINE
The Amazon Queen.
TEN
The cattle of Gyrion (you have to jam that into beats but you can do it).
ELEVEN
The three golden apples.
TWELVE
The three-headed dog.

We never got all the way through without stumbling (I fumbled around a bit typing it just now) but we could stumble our way through all twelve. He did a narration just so I could be sure he understood the story outline (he did) and he picked one task to illustrate. I was sure he'd pick the Cerberus but he went with the Stymphalian birds. We also had an argument over how to pronounce Cerberus and its still not clear even after a google search. Anybody? Anyone?

Henry is a few chapters behind Eleanor is the history text now. He read about mummies today. Yesterday for science we read about squirrels and skunks.

I introduced Singapore math to Henry. It went okay. I also did Singapore with Eleanor and once again, I just didn't get it. I'm going to have start reading it well ahead of time.

Eleanor had a Brownie's meeting today and basketball practice this evening. Thank goodness piano, which would have landed squarely between them, was canceled. Yesterday we attended a park day with the South Bay Free Scholars. It was such a lovely day.

Time to get back to the costumes.

7 Comments:

musewings said...

I say it's sehr' eh bus.

Sarah said...

Without meaning to be rude, I wonder are you referring to Cerberus, the three-headed dog of Greek mythology? I think it's pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, as it is in the original Greek. If you mean Cerebus the cartoon aardvark, I would agree with musewings.

Anonymous said...

Naturally, I meant the aardvark.

The debate wasn't because we can't read. Its because our various books contained two different spellings.

Anonymous said...

I have fixed it in the body to avoid further controversy.

Sarah said...

Well, I got confused because of musewing's comment.

Is your controversy more related to a hard c/soft c pronunciation? It's clearly a K sound in the original greek, it's also clear that it's come to be pronounced as S in modern English. This process is also evident in the name Circe, which in Ancient Greek is Kirke.

Anonymous said...

Actually, one of our books says "Cerebus" and in the glossary has it pronounced "SER-behr-uss" so we were just completely stymied. Apparently its a somewhat common mistake.

Fortunately, Henry was the one who had it right.

Anonymous said...

You guys would belive how much it costs for all that WD-40 i preen with and the brass cleaner to keep my beak and claws looking shiinny i mean it realy costs a arm and a leg and im on a human free diet HEY SO LONG FOR NOW IM GOING TO FLY TO ATHENS