Saturday, October 20, 2007

Friday

Technically, we don't have school on Friday but we do some school related things. Eleanor has her weekly spelling test and I'm hoping to get to a point where we will be doing Friday Field Trips.

Yesterday, the public schools were off so we met up with friends. We went to Starbucks, Border's bookstore and a local park. In the late afternoon Henry had OT during which time Susannah napped, Eleanor did French and I tried to read "Oedipus the King" for my class. We're having varying degrees of success doing French in the car. Yesterday was a bust.

In general, French gets far fewer days than I was hoping. But, until we tighten up the three Rs that won't change.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about reading for next week. We're moving into ancient Egypt with our history lessons. I was thinking about starting our Hebrew Bible/Torah reading. Not sure I'm ready to give up Greek Mythology just yet though. So many great stories still to be read. But, I have to check my natural tendency to obsess over a single subject until I've exhausted my own and everyone else's interest in it.

3 Comments:

Hen Jen said...

Hi! visiting over from the WTM boards!! Like your blog! Hey, are you teaching French to all the kids? Do you already speak it? Which curr. are you using? I took it in H.S. and am planning on re-studying it myself this year, I keep wondering if I should include my kids in it.

nice visiting with you.

Sarah said...

I have a question about your Spelling Workout book. I see you have a picture of the version with the little frog on the cover -- I thought those were discontinued. Is that really the version you're using? And if so, where did you get it?

Anonymous said...

jenny in ca - the short answer is, no, I don't speak French. The long is that I took 3 years of French in college so I have some familiarity with the language. Right now we're using Power-Glide.

sarah - to the best of my knowledge, the old Spelling Workout had a sports theme. The new one has the space-y covers and no sports theme. I think the new ones are from 2002. I ordered it through Amazon.