Friday, October 26, 2007

Weekly Report

We had a good week. Eleanor got through 2 chapters of SOTW (Ancients) which is good because I'd like to have her getting closer to working at grade level. She finished her cursive workbook. Still needs work on remembering the capitals but she's doing well otherwise. We did three days of Saxon math and one day of Singapore. Well, we did a day and a half of Singapore. On Wednesday we tried to do it but I didn't get it and then I realized we were doing the wrong lesson so I scrapped it. She did two days of science. One day I let her play with the internet links instead of doing a narration.

She's learning a new poem for memorization. "A Tragic Story" by William Makepeace Thackeray. She read, "Cat Mummies", "Who Built the Pyramids" and finished her free-read pick, "American Sisters: A Titanic Journey Across the Sea...". She finished the last one at bedtime. I know that because she came storming out of her room, handed me the book and said, "I never want to see that book again!" She was very unhappy that one of the main characters died. She is starting, "Lugalbanda" for directed reading and Usborne Illustrated Stories for Girls for free-read. She did three days of Writing Strands and is doing a great job building upon a core sentence. Her writing was dodgy in the beginning. Its amazing to me how far she's come in such a short time.

What we didn't do is a fun art project and French.

Henry did even more copy work this week. He copied the names of his aunts and uncles and his cousins. We learned a new poem but its pretty uninspiring so I'm dropping it and will pick something else. He did three days of Saxon and one of Singapore. It was his first time using Singapore and he liked it. I was glad to see that I could understand the first grade level Singapore math. There's hope for me after all.

He did two days of history even though I was thinking about cutting back to just one. It worked out just fine as long as he had things to do or look at while I read to him. We read several Greek myths including the Twelve Labors of Hercules. I tried to read something else one day but he insisted on the myths. He did two days of science which means we read about four animals this week. He was suprised that prarie dogs are a kind of squirrel. So was I.

Extracurriuclarly. Wait. Extracurricular-wise. Well. Whatever. It looked like this:

Monday - E Soccer game.
Tuesday - Park Day.
Wednesday - E Brownies, E basketball practice.
Thursday - E dance, E soccer practice.
Friday - Birthday party for a friend.

Thank goodness piano got canceled and we opted out of OT.

Goal for next week: more French.

5 Comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome as always. But I wonder why your quote of the day today* is attributed to Lewis Carroll, when in fact it is the White Queen who says that in Through the Looking Glass. Is it common to attribute sayings of characters in books to the authors, without noting that they were putting those words into someone else's mouth? That seems odd to me.

*"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."

Jennefer said...

What a lovely blog! I enjoyed reading all the posts you have written so far. I have a first grader and we are using some of the same curriculum you are, too.

I can't wait to read even more future musings! :)

Jennefer

Lesley said...

Totally off- but have you all heard that some doctors believe Lewis Carroll suffered from serious migranes.

Anyway... okay how are you'all getting those fancy pictures in the sidebars???? Am trying to put photos in my kithen blog and it's not working!!!

Sarah said...

That poem is hilarious! How did you find it?

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard that. There have certainly been lots of other things said about it. Migraines being the kindest.

You can go to Photobucket and make a slideshow and right there you get the code to embed in your blog. You can go to your layout page and add an element and cut and paste and its done.

The poem was from her language arts book. Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind: Level 3.