Thursday, October 18, 2007

Webkins Field Trip brought to you by Hallmark

Another pretty good day. I think we can do better. Henry is in a down phase with his behavior. Everyone's kids do this, right? Go through 2-week phases of atrociously bad and uncharacteristic behavior in-between months long stretches of more typical behavior? Please say yes.

Our story today was "Orpheus and Eurydice". I found my ire raised by Eleanor not being able to remember the name Eurydice in spite of having (1) read the story (2) been present when I read the story to Henry (3) participated in a discussion in the van on the names Orpheus and Eurydice (4) watched a short about Orpheus and Eurydice and (5) listened to Henry do his narration on Orpheus and Eurydice.

Now, I know some of you are thinking that I'm being too harsh. After all, Eurydice is not a name she's encountered before and she is only eight. Let me defend myself by telling you that this is a child who has nearly memorized the latest Barbie movie after only two viewings. I read somewhere, in a book suggesting that very young children could and SHOULD learn ancient history first, that a child who could say "triceratops" could also saw "Hammurabi" (I'm paraphrasing wildly). I agree and I apply the same logic to this situation. A child that can recite the entire catalog of episodes of "Winx Club" can remember the name Eurydice after hearing it about 200 times in a 40-minute period.

Both kids did a narration and a coloring page and both chose to color the same scene, "Orpheus crossing the river Styx".

Today was a science day. Henry read about Guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils (one page) and moles (one page). We skipped a narration and just did a coloring page. Eleanor read about satellites, space stations and space shuttles and did a bang up job on a narration that I had her narrate and then write for herself. The spelling was dodgy but the content was right on the mark. Baby steps.

Eleanor did Sinagpore math today. I was nervous because I wasn't sure I totally understood the number fan thingy I was supposed to teach. Luckily she figured it out immediately, corrected me once and finished it on her own.

We took a field trip to Hallmark today because Henry wanted to use his money for a Webkin. Eleanor got one for her birthday and we have Webkin fever now. Only one person, a rather senior lady, asked if schools were out today. Eleanor said, "I do homeschool." The woman had a killer poker face and just asked a bit dryly, "Oh, how is that going?" and then without missing a beat, "Do you like your teacher?" I wanted to bring her home. I bet she has a great blog.

Henry

  • Printing "b" - 15 minutes.
  • FLL - review "How Doth...", nouns, copywork - 20 minutes.
  • Hallmark Field Trip
  • Reading - awesome music video, narration, coloring page - 55 minutes.
  • Science - reading, coloring page - 20 minutes.
  • Math - 40 minutes (he was frustrated by tangrams for some reason then it just seemed to click and he sped through them).
Eleanor
  • Spelling - 20 minutes.
  • Reading - music video, narration, coloring page - 55 minutes.
  • Writing from a core sentence - 30 minutes.
  • Cursive - 20 minutes (she wanted to do 6 pages so I let her. She's anxious to know the whole alphabet so she can do all her work in cursive).
  • Field Trip
  • Science - narration - 30 minutes.
  • Math - forgot to time it...25 minutes I'm guessing.
No school on Fridays!

5 Comments:

Lesley said...

Do you speak French?

Tina in WA said...

My kids LOVE webkinz too!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

The short answer is no. The long answer is that I took three years of French in college and was actually fairly proficient (the French department asked me to reconsider my political science major in favor of pursuing a degree in French). But, any skill I may have had in that area quickly waned once I stopped taking the classes.

When we do French in the car it is with the benefit of CD lessons.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!